WordWeb – A free offline dictionary for Android
If you are in the habit of writing – whether it is to send an email, compose a blog post, or write manuals, you will need a dictionary. The traditional printed dictionaries are cumbersome, and their online variants need an internet connection. However, there are a number of free offline dictionaries that you can run on your Android cell phone.
Some time back, I had covered one such offline dictionary named Artha which works on multiple platforms including Windows, and Linux. Unfortunately, it will not run on mobile devices such as your Android cell phone.
If you own an Android cell phone and are on the look out for a nice English dictionary which works offline, then you should give WordWeb a try.
What I like about this free offline dictionary for Android is the following -
- No Ads.
- Works offline. No Internet connection needed whatsoever.
- Contains 285,000 words, phrases, and derived forms, that are sufficient for most people’s needs.
- Do not take much space on the device – The Android app can be moved to the SD Card.
- Contains a thesaurus with synonyms, and related words.
- Search enabled – You can search for new words using patterns and filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, and adverbs.
- Totally free.
For those who are willing to spend some money, WordWeb also offers an audio edition of their offline dictionary that adds audio pronunciation of the words.
Interested ? Then download the WordWeb app from the Android app store @ Google Play.